For the past few years, our backyard birds have made nests in the lamp by our garage. This is not very good for the lightbulbs, which keep burning out; I'm pretty sure it's not great for the birds either. I had made a note to myself to make the birds a better house this year, but apparently I didn't get started early enough because on Sunday morning, the light fixture looked like this.
Fortunately, the weather was fabulously beautiful, and I had a spare bit of time. So it was a great day for a bit of hacking and pounding!
In addition to a bunch of time, I had an old fence board (from the same fence that gave me Adirondack chairs and Solar dehydrators) -- this same versatile fence might as well also become a bird house. Mark it up . . .
. . . go to town with the circular saw. Then grab a canning jar full of old nails, rescued from previous projects . . .
Once I finished the house and hung it up, I moved in the "furniture". With any luck, the birds will agree to the ReLo.
And just in case, I bagged up their old home in plastic, to discourage illegal entry.
It's so much fun to bang things together, especially if I can use supplies I just happen to have lying around. First garden project of the season -- accomplished!