Wednesday, October 3, 2012

13.1 miles in the little black dress

I do not have any pictures of my long run last weekend.  Why not?  Because, of course, I was running. Except when the uphills got steep -- at which points I was walking, because when I'm running miles and miles and then more miles, it's against my religion to torture myself just for the sake of one stupid little hill. (Seriously, now, stop yelling "you can do it!" at me.  I don't want to run up that hill; I'll run once I get to the frigging top, thank you!).

The point, though, is that I was NOT carrying a camera with me.

This is not to say that I didn't look darned good.  Because I figure if I'm going to pay $50 to join an event that lasts 2 hours and 7 minutes, it must be a fancy one.  And so I dressed the part.
If I can go dancing in this dress,
I figure I can go running in it.
Check out the hot-pink shoes.  Sweet.

In spite of there being lots and lots of people in this race, this really was the first time I've run alone in more than a year.  I missed having my friends around to yack with. I missed having TL being hyper-peppy about how amazingly strong we are, or hearing about the latest antics of K's insane boss, or having June offer me road-side advice on my upcoming canning projects.

When  I was half the age I am now, I ran twice as far (that is, I did a whole marathon), mostly at the same pace I managed this past weekend.  Then I stopped running for a long time.  It's only in the past few years I've started running again, mostly thanks to my friends TL and K and June.  The dress was a much-needed pep-me-up for the solo miles I covered.

I'm not fast.  I'm in the middle of the pack.  Okay, really, I'm toward the back of the pack.  I'm in the pack, but comfortably toward the rear.  Said another way, I'm not going to win any races.

[Oooh!  Except last year, my husband and I DID come in first and second at this very same race, but that's because we started an hour early with the walkers, although we ended up running anyway.  So we finished 3 minutes ahead of the rest of the real winners of the race.  We confused the heck out of the announcer, who was saying, "It looks like we have the first runners coming in now . . . ?", and you could hear him saying to himself ". . . but it's an old man and a woman!?!".  We reassured the people in the chute: No, no!  We're just the fastest SLOW people!]

Anyway, for people running comfortably in the rear of the race, I can now confidently say that wearing the little black dress is a great way to jazz up a long, long run.  To celebrate while sweating. To make memorable the many miles.  To doll up, while doing distance.

Okay, I know that the little black running dress is totally goofy.  But it was me being goofy -- you don't have to do it, of course.  Still, don't you think this would be fun to try?

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! Up hill walks, back of the pack, black dress (with awesome shoes) all of it - still a serious challenge. One that you beat down. I have designs on a full. Someday. Not soon. I'm still basking in the glory of my own 13.1 from months ago - which is the beauty of the thing. And I didnt even have a cool outfit.

    ReplyDelete