Saturday, January 7, 2012

Heading home

The math meetings are winding down, and I'll be heading home soon.  I've gotten some hard-to-hear news recently.  One of my good friends who has been battling cancer went back into the hospital two weeks ago; she went into hospice yesterday.  And I am too, too far away.

Like the people in Auden's haunting poem, I am eating or opening a window or just walking dully along.  There are committee reports to write and meetings to attend.  I am surrounded by a different set of friends and colleagues, and I am really grateful to have the chance to be with them -- these mathematicians are who I am, my tribe, my people.  But I'm straddling two worlds.  Later tonight I will get on the train that takes me home.  I haven't hugged my boys since Tuesday, and I haven't kissed my husband in just as long.  

No comments:

Post a Comment