Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thanksgiving shopping list

I might have mentioned once or twice (or a dozen-dozen times) that I love making lists.  Ahh, here's another of my favorite lists: the thanksgiving shopping list.

I put this list together one year when I was dreading the act of pulling together all those menus for foods I make only once a year.  I don't dread the cooking; it was the act of organizing all that stuff at a time that I was already really busy with kids and grading that was stressing me out.  So I decided to create a "master recipe" -- one giant set of directions that starts with "Tuesday:  clean out the gross moldy things from the refrigerator" and ends with a list of all the foods that need to go on the table Thursday at meal time.  (Can you tell I've forgotten to bring out the cranberry relish one-too-many times?  I vowed "never again").  I typed up the entire thing on my computer, and I bring it out again every November and tape it to my cabinet doors.  I update it a bit from year to year, right after Thanksgiving, so I don't have to fret beforehand about what I'm missing.

Accompanying my master recipe (which I'll share tomorrow) is the master shopping list.  The first round of shopping happens at home -- I check inventories and cross out everything we're already well-stocked with.  Oh, I love this list!  Yours is probably very different, but I can't restrain myself from sharing.

meat:
  • 20+ lb turkey 
  • 1 lb turkey sausage 
dairy
  • milk 
  • 3 sticks butter 
fruit and vegetables
  • 1 orange 
  • 4 apples 
  • 4 c (1 lb) cranberries 
  • 4 sweet potatoes 
  • 6 big potatoes 
  • celery 
  • lettuce 
  • green beans 
  • 1/2 c dried apricots 
  • 1/2 c dried cherries 
  • 1/2 c chopped walnuts 

spices and oils
  • 2 tbs chives 
  • 1 tbs dried thyme 
  • 1 tsp sage leaves 
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg 
  • 1.5 c sugar 
  • 1/2 tsp paprika 
  • honey 
  • mustard 
  • cider vineagar 
  • brown sugar 
  • walnut oil 

store-made items
  • 2 baguette breads (for stuffing) 
  • 1 can cranberry sauce 
  • stuff for homemade bread 
  • 2 jars gravy 
  • vanilla ice cream 
  • ziplock storage bags 
  • ice for turkey in cooler 
  • wine — red and white

No comments:

Post a Comment