Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanks listing

Miser Mom's top ten list of reasons to be grateful this Thanksgiving:
  1. A dad who can diagnose a burnt-out motor on a heat pump from 107 miles away.  Thanks, Dad!
  2. A dog who follows me wherever I go; who slobbers on my children; who growls at strangers; who goes ecstatic over simple pleasures.  Oh, boy!  Dog Food!  AGAIN!!!
  3. A 12-year old son who begs to be allowed to go to a math meeting on his birthday, rather than be left home to play with toys and friends.
  4. A 13-year old son (and lady-killer) who reeks of manly deodorant but who still loves to be tickled by his mom.  I'm gonna getcha!
  5. A bubbly honorary daughter whose favorite words are "awesome" and "rad", and whose favorite phrase is, "Do you need any help?"  Really, I'm the luckiest person in the world.  No, really.
  6. A step-daughter who brags about her thrifty, strict, authoritarian step-mom and her African American brothers, but who still hangs out (and fits in) with the blonde, stylin', $50-for-a-pair-of-flip-flops crowd.  She's going places, that's for sure.
  7. A daughter who has a "reverse fan club" (many of her friends are members of the highly popular "Io-loves-you" group).  She's what I might have been if I were good with people, which I'm not, but she is.  Hmmm . . . food for thought.
  8. A step-daughter who is fiercely loyal to family and friends.  If I were walking down a dark alley, she'd be even better than the dog at protecting me.  
  9. A husband who believes that marriage is supposed to be a glimpse of what heaven is going to be like, and who lives out that belief just about every day.  
  10. The freedom to worship without persecution, and a church that persistently spurs me to act out my faith in deeds as well as in words.  
Life is good.  Happy Thanksgiving, one and all!

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post. I'll bet at the top of your children's list of things to be thankful for are a mother who is attentive, loving, and who sets a good example, and father who is the same. Your children are very blessed. Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm . . . somehow, I think "Bionicles" are higher up on the list than "mom", actually! But thanks for the good cheer. And the best of the season to you, too! -- MM

    ReplyDelete