Saturday, November 19, 2011

A sentimental story

This isn't a story with a moral.  It's just one that I love to remember, offered up in honor of my son's birthday today.

Our second son moved in with us over the course of several months during the spring of 2010.  By June, he was moved in "full-time".  The new J-son and the established N-son mostly got along well, but they could also go through stretches where they got really testy with each other.  (No surprise there!)  One June morning, J-son came into my first-floor bedroom early in the morning to complain that N-son was talking and waking him up. So, bleary eyed, I sent J-son back upstairs to bed, called N-son downstairs, and told him to read quietly in the living room. "It's early in the morning! Leave your brother ALONE!".

About 10 minutes later, I heard soft footsteps coming down the stairs. Down means it was J-son moving around. Soon after that, N-son came in to ask, "If J-son came into the living room, am I allowed to talk to him?" I said yes. But instead, all was quiet.

Finally I went out to see what was going on. There was only one lump curled up on the couch, and I wondered which kid it was. When I pulled the blanket back to uncover the lump, this is what I saw.

Awww . . . 

2 comments:

  1. Truly brothers at heart. Doesn't get any better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, is that ever sweet. I'm glad you got the photo, better to remember that story.

    ReplyDelete